The mission of the Interlocal Housing Task Force is to support the creation of affordable and attainable housing through policy recommendations, public outreach, professional development, and project implementation. The Task Force meets regularly to discuss and review current housing trends, evaluate proposed solutions, and create informational resources for the public.
In support of this housing plan, the IHTF offers the following recommendations:
- Establish promote, and utilize the Moab Area Community Land Trust.
- Increase funding for affordable housing within the City and County budgets.
- Expand the use of deed restrictions to protect existing and new affordable housing.
- Engage the State Institutional Trust Lands Administration (SITLA) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in identifying development opportunities on state and federally owned land.
- Adopt an assured housing ordinance, which will require all new residential and commercial development above a given size to include a component of affordable housing.
- Increase zoning densities along major transportation corridors and within areas proximal to retail, restaurants, and entertainment.
- Support employer provided housing while providing best practices that protect employees.
- Provide for greater flexibility in the City and County land use codes to support residential and mixed-use developments.
- Establish regulations that enable the development of “tiny home” communities.
- Encourage the Utah legislature to allow greater flexibility in the expenditure of Transient Room Tax (TRT) revenue.